Saturday, August 22, 2009

THIS IS GOOD!

Yesterday...it was one of THOSE days.
I was overwhelmed.
I should have been really happy,
after all...my husband and daughter
had JUST returned from their trip to Utah.
And Ben showed up on my doorstep soon after.
The family was ALL together again.
BUT...
I was overwhelmed,
and I'll tell you why.
First off, I'm still in week 3 of my recovery.
It's been a really painful process.
On top of that recovery I thought I had a UTI.
Easy fix for a very painful problem, right?
WRONG.
Turns out I didn't have a UTI,
instead I have a condition called
"Interstitial Cystitis".
It's like having a UTI
ALL.THE.TIME.
Have you ever had one?
They are PAINFUL.
Think about ulcers in the bladder...
that about sums it up.
Oh, and there's no treatment.
Throw in a yeast infection.
(TMI?)
How about insomnia?
I have that too.
Meanwhile, I am still dealing with Stevie's LICE.
Everyday for two hours I pick through her hair.
It's a TEDIOUS process.
My back and neck hurt from bending over.
My fingers are sore from picking.
And it produces a LOT of daily laundry.
Then all of a sudden I have mounds
of vacation laundry from the Utah trip.
A heaping pile of it.
The door bell rings at 8am,
it's the REHAB guy dropping off a lift system
for Ben to make lifting easier during my recovery.
It's a massive piece of equipment.
(in my humble little home)
He's trying to explain how to work it when
Uncle Roger and his son show up
to help us fix an electrical problem.
Meanwhile, Ben's PT walks in the door,
but Ben hasn't arrived yet.
He finally shows up with all of HIS stuff.
My house is CHAOTIC,
stuff is everywhere.
People are everywhere.
I can hardly breathe.
I sit with Ben during his session of PT
and try to ignore everything else around me.
Stevie sits down at my feet for her daily hair check.
I pick through her hair for an hour and only find 4 nits.
I'm making serious ground - it used to be 50.
The end is in sight.
Just as I finished combing through the last part...
in walks Kayla fresh from her shower.
"My head is really itchy" she tells me.
"Can you PLEASE check my head?" she asks
I roll my eyes thinking she does NOT have lice.
But I sit her down anyway.
I look down at her curly mop.
All of a sudden my heart sinks.
Now MY head is itchy!
I want to vomit.
Her head...
it's COVERED in nits.
I throw her outside.
I can't even think straight.
My head's turning in circles.
I call for Steve
(who's knee deep in house projects with U. Roger)
"GO GET ME SOME RID!"
"What's going on?" he asks
"YOUR DAUGHTER...SHE'S GOT LICE!!!" I yell
Steve's in shock...HE starts itching.
"I'm OVERWHELMED" I yell again
"I'M OVERWHELMED TOO" he yells back
"REALLY?" I ask
"Are YOU gonna sit here and pick out nits with me?" I reply
"Um...no?" he whimpers
"THEN DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE OVERWHELMED" I tell him
"I'M OVERWHELMED!"
"Now go get me some RID!
Oh...and don't forget to call Utah
to let the whole state know
that they've been contaminated
by YOUR daughter!" I remind him
Off I go to strip, bag and spray their room.
More laundry.
Oh...and the clean laundry that made it home from UTAH?
Kayla's contaminated brush was in that bag.
More laundry.
In the middle of the electrical work,
U. Roger discovers our front door has problems.
(we sort of knew that)
Termite and carpenter ant rot.
All of a sudden, my front door is ripped out....
along with the frame.
(because apparently we didn't have enough chaos)
It was a HUGE mess, made worse by the rain.
My head was itching,
and spinning,
and hurting.
I escape up to my bathroom,
I stare in the mirror.
That's when I saw it.
A NIT!
Yup.
I'm contaminated.
I start crying.
"Who's gonna comb through MY hair?" I whine
Off to my bedroom I go.
More bagging and stripping and spraying.
More laundry.
Meanwhile U. Roger kept telling me
"THIS IS GOOD".
ALL.DAY.LONG.
With a BIG smile on his face,
he'd repeat over and over again...
"THIS IS GOOD".
I needed to hear that.
Because really?
Life is good,
and I know that.

(Termite and Carpenter Ant damage)

(Door frame rot...)

(MESSY/TIME CONSUMING/EXPENSIVE PROJECT!!!)

In the midst of the chaos...
I snuck away to watch some of this:
(it's a clip from our family reunion)
It made me giggle.
It reminded me of all the things
that I have to be grateful for.
One of them being LAUGHTER.

I LOVE my sister-n-law Rachael.
We love to LAUGH.
That's all we do when we're together.
**********
I was feeling better already.
So I called my lice infested girls up to the bathroom.
"Come join me!" I excitedly tell them
"And BRING SOME plastic BAGS!"
"We're gonna have some FUN!"
"We WILL be victorious!" I proclaim.
The girls do their victory dances.
I joined in.

Then I lathered us all up in Listerine,
threw the bags over our heads...
kissed them all soundly
and put them to bed.
As I layed in mine,
(itching)
I thought about all of my many blessings.
(too numerous to list them all)
I thought about Uncle Roger and his son
who gave up a day to spend working at our house.
I thought about how he got my dishwasher working again
after 3 years of not being able to use it.
I thought about how my family was safe from their travels
and that we're all together again.
And how lucky we are to have a home to live in,
even though it has some issues.
I thought about how I could finally fall asleep
knowing that everything will be okay.

18 comments:

Wiggles said...

Becky, you are the most amazing woman I know. I love that you can laugh at life after you have had a good cry and that you can find the blessings in the midist of the struggles. I love you!

Aaron H. said...

Good post. Kudos to UR and Rjr for their service. I'm overwhelmed with Uncle Steve.

Undaunted said...

An that's just it, everything will be okay. One peice, one step, one moment at a time. :)

April said...

Day by day- nit by nit... Things will be better... thanks for sharing the tears and the laughs! I just love you!
ps. I'm totally itching right now. :)

Alana said...

Oh Beck- No Treatment!?! You're holding it together better than I would. Way to keep counting your blessings.

DainBramage said...

Is your middle name Job? I admire you for keeping your head high through all of this.

LL said...

great post. made me laugh and have sympathy. LOVED the video, you guys are hilarious!!!
hang in there my little lice cake!
don't bring those nits to CJ! por favor.

shirlgirl said...

Becky, I can't believe all that you have posted here! Holy cow!! I think I would give everyone a VERY SHORT HAIRCUT to get rid of those lice. The hair will grow back. I can't believe how infested everyone has been with these buggers. I think I would have given up the ship at this point. It'll be interesting to hear the stories at Jen's later today at R's party.

Unknown said...

I'll pick your nits. I am a qualified professional.

Jane said...

Here you go making me cry again. I read your post and get overwhelmed for you and all that you are dealing with. And then you ALWAYS find the silver lining, and it brings a tear to my eye. I want to be like you one day. I get to the overwhelmed stage, and then I start to cry. You find the good and move on.

Jo Jo said...

Okay, no wonder why you called me and cried. I feel bad for you, but way to recover. Life is always great when you can find out how. I just want to know why it wasn't fixed when I was there for the summer washing for billions?

ellen said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

I keep telling you....and i continue to mean it....you impress me....all of this that you keep dealing with....and yet, you deal with it soooo well....you are an amazing person.....an amazing mom....an amazing example as to how to look at trials, and yet see the blessings above the trials. I know you saw my friend post....can i just add, YOU were the one i was referring to when i said i was glad to have friend who are such great examples to me and my kids....each day, as i read your posts, i tell Jessica about you, and tell her how amazing you are at all you do....she agrees!!! (it doesn't seem to happen a lot that she agrees with me....she is in a teenage mode!!!)

Kathryn said...

Becky, thanks for putting a smile on my face . . . again. You are simply amazing.

Sally said...

And this is why I love your blog! : ) It's so refreshing to hear someone say that even after "one of those days" you can still laugh and smile. Keep smiling, you have a great family and a super interesting blog!!

Gilbert Family said...

I think the name "BECKY ORTON" needs to be after the word OPTIMISTIC in the dictionary! You really are the most incredible woman EVER! Good luck with those nasty nits...what a pain!

paulak said...

Holy crap girl...you sure have a colorful life...I love to read about it. By the way....Ya, Interstitial Cystitis, I feel your pain...I have that too. Isn't it the best. Hang on!!!, you are on one incredible life roller coaster.

Anonymous said...

That was a little more than you told me on the phone...TO look back on it and the way you just sat there with the pt person...Isn't life grand!! This is just the way it is in this house and I'm doing fine...ho ho.
But I am so proud of you...way to hold it together and carry on.
mom