Tuesday, August 4, 2009

MY SURGERY

A week ago Steve and I were getting ready for the BIG day. I was nervous and very anxious as I wasn't going to know the outcome of the surgery until I woke up. He drove me to the hospital. As we were walking in to the hospital, I rolled my ankle pretty bad. All we could do was laugh. Then as we were being led up to the surgery waiting area by one of the volunteers, I started hemorrhaging in the elevator. I grabbed onto Steve's arm and whispered that I was bleeding pretty badly. We got off the elevator and I was afraid to even move. We finally clued in this 80 year old woman/volunteer what was going on and she panicked. She brought me directly into the surgery pre-op area and I headed for the bathroom. I was laughing internally as I witnessed about 7 nurses squeezing in the bathroom/changing area with me. I was quite the scene. Once things were taken care of, I was put in a bed and immediately had two 18 gauge needles placed in my wrists and fluid pumped in.

After surgery, I remember waking up to the most intense pain I have ever felt. The nurses and doctor were pumping in so much pain medicine that I stopped breathing. I vaguely remember people yelling at me and rubbing my sternum. That was the only time I felt complete relief from the pain - it was awful. I eventually was given my own pain med pump and finally brought up to a room. My husband and parents were finally able to see me. It had been a LONG day. My dad brought me a huge bear, it was the only thing that put a smile on my face for days.

I had many complications. I stopped breathing again on the floor due to pain medications. They moved me to a room right next to the nurses desk so they could keep a closer eye on me. My blood pressure was so low (70/30) and my hematocrit and hemoglobin were really low as well. I blew IV after IV. You can see in this picture that my wrist was swollen.

The doctor was hoping that I would bring my numbers up on my own, but after 3 days they weren't changing, so I had to have a blood transfusion.

It's always a little creepy when you have someone else's blood being pumped into you. I also stopped peeing on my own and had to have a foley put back in. My stomach had a terrible rash on it that was really itchy. I would scratch and itch all night long. The doctor finally was able to figure out that it was the drape cloth used in surgery because of the shape it left on my stomach. I'll chalk my sensitive skin up to my dad.
I was finally released yesterday. I was home long enough to pack up and head to my mom's house with Stevie and my sister Amy and her family. It was time for her to head back to Ohio. That was a really, really hard goodbye. She's done SO much for me, more than I could ever repay. I'm staying at my mom's with Stevie for a few days. Steve leaves with Kayla on Thursday for Utah for a couple of weeks. The recovery will be long and hard. I can't lift more then a few pounds for 6 weeks which means that I can't lift Ben. He'll stay with my good friend Becky for a little while. Then I will rely on my husband and children to help lift him when he comes home. I'm grateful for all my well wishers and those that continue to check up on me. I'm healing...but it will be a LONG process.

20 comments:

Apes said...

Adam and I have been thinking about you a lot lately and we are glad to hear that you are finally out of the hospital. We are sending positive thoughts for a quick recovery your way : )

Undaunted said...

Love you sweetie. We pray for you always. Take it easy the best you can. Love you

ellen said...

You're in my prayers, Betsy. Would you like a visitor?!

Cindi said...

Call me when you come home to cook for you or whatever you need...:)
I love you.

Smilin' sunshine said...

Please recover quickly, we miss you and hope you are back to "normal" soon!

nanci said...

Becky,

Thanks for posting - I'm glad you have had your wonderful sister and now your mother to care for you. And all of the others that take care of you, Ben and your family!

I hope that you will recover quickly and be strong enough to be in your own home with your dear husband and children soon.

Love you!

~ eRiN ~ said...

Oh honey. I don't even know what to say! I'm glad you're out of the hospital at least. Feel better soon. And, its not fair that even in all that pain and in a hospital bed you still look gorgeous! I love you.

Unknown said...

You're BACK!!!
Welcome.
I think you should let ep come visit you, betsy.
We've ALL missed you!
xoxox

Wiggles said...

Becky, good to hear from you. I'm glad that Stevie will be with you to give you her magic touch. She is the best little nurse. We will take good care of Kaleb for you. We all have grown to love Amy Jo during her time here and will miss her and the boys. Hope she can come for a visit sometime that doesn't include someone being in the hospital. Love you. Rest and let everyone wait on you!

mali said...

Stay strong! It's all uphill from here! ;)
Love and miss you!

Jeannette said...

Love you:)

Erica said...

Becky, I'm so glad you were feeling well enough to update us but gosh, I can only imagine the pain your in! I am JUST NOW 6 weeks out of surgery and it was rough. The hardest thing was not lifting baby Ethan for so long! (OR the other kids for that matter!) I know it will be hard not to, but pleeease don't do it! Yours was much more involved than mine. My sister had that surgery and did too much, too early...and then paid sorely for it :( I'm so sorry for all you've been through but I'm so grateful for your wonderful example. I meant it when I said seeing you while I was in the hospital helped me :) Love you!

April said...

Oh sweet Becky!
You have been through so much physically, and you've been through so much in the deepest parts of your heart. We pray for you always- on the good days and the hard ones too!
LOVE YOU!!

paulak said...

Wow, you are amazing. All that you go through and you still seem optimistic. I love that about you. So glad to hear that surgery is over and now you can heal. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

smart mama said...

hang in there B, hope you can turn around quickly. I wish i wasn't leaving for a few weeks starting friday i'd come bring you some cheer and laughs and treats

hotairfilter@sbcglobal.net said...

I'm so glad to see you are on the mend!

LL said...

you AMAZE me, I love you and your happy positive attitude. It's no wonder you have so many people who care about you!

Jane said...

I just love you even though I have never met you...I am so sorry that you have been on such a roller coaster ride these last few months.
I hope that you will heal quickly and that your heart will be full of love and peace.

((hugs))

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

Glad to see you posting again....wish you weren't dealing with all of this....glad you have family and friends helping to take care of you....take it easy, get plenty of rest.

shirlgirl said...

That's quite a story before and after your surgery. Nothing is simple for you, that's for sure. Take it easy and hope you heal quickly in all ways. We love you.