Saturday, January 10, 2009

SUCCOR THE WEAK...


Today as I was driving down the road, I passed a young, male hitchhiker. The compassionate side of me wanted to stop and offer this young man a ride. The cautious side of me was prompted to pass him by, and so I did. The temparature was in the single digits. It was COLD outside. I couldn't help but think of this young man, not quite suitably dressed for the outside elements. I wondered what his life must be like. How did he get to this point? I wished that I could've picked him up and taken him to where he needed to be. It brought back one particular memory of my childhood. I was around 10 years old. My mother was raising 7 biological children along with multiple foster children. We were driving home from church one Sunday in a complete blizzard. I remembered being huddled in our big blue cancer van (we called it the cancer van because of the many rust spots that it had) together, all 11 or so of us because there was no heat. We were anxious to get home to warm up in our modestly quaint home. (and by warming up, I mean putting on about 7 more layers) The storm was so intense that you couldn't see more than a couple feet in front of you. My mother was hunched up close to the wheel, squinching (is that even a word?) her eyes in hopes of seeing through the white madness. We were 10 minutes from home when we came upon an elderly man hitchhiking. He was SCARY looking. He had many layers of dirty clothes, an unkempt, discolored beard and a stench that was eye watering. My mother, as was true to her character, couldn't resist pulling over to pick up this man out of the harsh weather. We were APPALLED and totally shocked. (maybe even a little mad) My dad was in some kind of leadership position at church at the time so he wasn't with us. There is NO WAY that dad would have let mom do this had he been there. BUT...that was the type of person my mother was. She brought him home and we fed him a warm, homemade meal. He was SO grateful, perhaps humbled by my mother's generosity. He didn't know how to pay us back for our kindness and so he sang to us. He had a beautiful voice. My mother loved to hear him sing. He came to visit us a few more times after that day until he finally passed away. I will always be grateful for that experience. My heart, at the young age of 10, was changed for good. Here I am, 25 years later. I couldn't help but think back to that time when we picked up that hitchhiker out of the blizzard. I wished I could've followed in my mother's footsteps today. I wish that I felt safe enough to pick up a complete stranger, to take him out of the cold, perhaps give him a warm, homemade meal. Times have changed since that day my mother picked up that man, as well as my heart. She has taught me to "succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees", I just find other ways to do so.

12 comments:

LL said...

love that story. it makes me LAUGH when I hear you guys tell it, but it also shows your moms good heart, it's touching.
I'm with you, I'd love to help those people more, but there's that cautious side...it's too scary.

Christy said...

Your mom is truly a living example of loving as Christ did.
She taught her children WELL!
You have the same heart...
So many great stories about your mom, you guys should write a book someday.

Unknown said...

Remembering that story brings tears to my eyes (and this time it's not from the stench)
Thanks for remembering that he sang to us... I had forgotten that part. I love mom's heart and can only try to be like her.

Smilin' sunshine said...

Your mom is an example of kindness. She is a strong brave woman.

Thanks for sharing that story!

nanci said...

What a wonderful Christlike example you BOTH display!

I'm grateful that we can have guidance from the Spirit in these situations.

ChefTom said...

Your mother has always looked after the meek, she has taken in anyone that needed a meal, friendship guidance or a warm place to rest. And what I love most is she doesn't judge anyone, she just cares for them and finds Joy in doing it. She is a great living example of how we should all try to treat others.

shirlgirl said...

I've felt the way you did in this case. Today you have to be very careful because you don't know what would be in store for you if you did pick up this person. He could be just fine and then you never know. Your Mom was brave to do what she did. Years ago, I remember my Dad picking up a sailor who might be hitchhiking along the road and get him to or near his destination. That isn't something you can do today. I am sure that man was so grateful for your Mom's kindness. It reminds me of the McDonald's story. A couple took their son to McDonald's for breakfast. They were in line and then people started moving away from the line. There were two homeless men, dirty and smelly, who were checking the change they had in their pockets--only enough for a cup of coffee. They had to buy something so they could warm up and get out of the cold. This woman asked for two more breakfast meals and brought it to the two homeless men. When she put it down in front of them, with tears in their eyes, they thanked her for her kindness. She did a wonderful service and I am sure taught the other patrons in the store a lesson.

April said...

What a sweet sweet story! I think I need to hug that woman. You are two peas in a pod! That was just what I needed to hear today! Loved it!

Jo Jo said...

We were wondering why you were thinking about that story. I too forgot he sang, but I remember how MADDDD Dad was when he came home to find him there. Not happy.

Homeschool Mom said...

I LOVE this story! The story you shared shows us that we never know what is inside the outer wrapping. The giver and receiver are always blessed. Thank you for sharing this!

Erica said...

Becky, my dear, that spoonful was NOT cookie dough LOL. It was mashed potatoes!! You are cute! I will give you my share, though!

Cristy said...

What a heart warming story. I will think of it all day. Thanks for sharing!