Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MY HEROES

LIFE
I have been pondering this topic a lot lately.
It's a topic that is close to my heart.
You see...I have a child who's life
continuously hangs in the balance.
Therefore I am reminded
on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis,
how PRECIOUS life really is.
Why is it that some people have to
struggle each day just to stay alive?
Of course I know this answer,
but sometimes I need to ask
so that I can be reminded.
I also have a dad who has struggled with
health issues for many years now.
He continues to battle with it.
He's been diagnosed with
many different forms of cancer.
5 to be exact.
He continues to defy the odds.
I watch him quietly fight this never ending battle.
The latest cancer was thyroid.
He had to have surgery to remove it.
Because it was more complicated than expected,
his treatment continues.
Right now he is off his regular diet.
He can't have iodine, dairy, eggs, mayonaise, and fish.
(I'm sure I'm leaving some items out)
It gets complicated when you can't have iodine.
He has to deplete his body of the iodine
because the next step in his treatment
is to drink a radio-active drink.
The docs are hoping this will kill
the remaining cancer.
Things get more even complicated
when he drinks his poison.
He will have to be completely isolated
for an entire week.
He'll be relegated to the basement.
There is to be NO contact with any humans.
It's too dangerous.
This is what got me thinking.
It's amazing to me what some people have to endure...
JUST TO LIVE.
I'm grateful that my dad chooses to live.
I'm grateful for modern day medicine that
allows my dad AND my son to be here another day.
Sometimes it hurts to see them suffer,
But somehow it makes us stronger...
one day at a time.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

we just need to learn what we can, and lift where we're able. touching thoughts, Bec.

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

What a nice post....very thoughtful. I didn't realize all your Dad has/is going through....i had heard something about him and cancer a few years ago, but did not realize he is still dealing with stuff. IT is amazing what some people have to do just to live....and the things those of us around them are able to learn and appreciate more because of their willingness to endure these challenges. Your dad is truly a hero in my book, as is your son, Ben (even though I have not personally me him---but i feel like i know him through your blog). Tell your parents hello for me, and give them my love!!! What wonderful people they are!

April said...

What sweet heroes you have in your life. I'm in awe of all they go through, yet still fulfill their missions in such a powerful way!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts- I was really touched! Give those boys a hug for me- best of luck to them both as they continue to fight the battle so valiantly!

Jo Jo said...

Really nice post, ditto all those daddy remarks. I'm glad he chooses to live too, even if he has moments of grumpiness when he's poked and prodded.

Smilin' sunshine said...

I am glad they choose to live to, this world is made better because of them.

LL said...

I will ditto Dawns words...the've both added so much GOOD to the world.

You're blessed to be surrounded by such amazing AND STRONG people!

shirlgirl said...

It's another hurdle for your Dad, and he handles things with grace. I know it is hard for him that he has to give up the foods that he likes, but it is only for a little while. The hardest part for him, I am sure, is not being able to be with your Mom. She can sit on the top step and talk to him and throw him kisses. He'll be on the computer a lot, I am sure. Now he'll be able to update his blog if he feels up to it (hint, hint)! And your Benji--he struggles as well but has a wonderful and awesome support system, super doctors, and angels everywhere he is--we are blessed to have these wonderful souls in our lives.

Jeannette said...

This was hard to read, knowing that all of you guys are going though all of this and I cant be with any of you during it...its hard being so far away and having not seen everyone in over two years is miserable. I cant wait to feel Dads warm embrace again and to hear his endearing chuckle, and to be in the presence of Benjis greatness, both are very special people to me and have touched me in more ways that I can share. Everyone has. Till then, I will keep praying for one and all...

ChefTom said...

I too am glad that both your heros continue to defy the odds and choose to remain here with all of us.

Christy said...

They are still with us, for that I know everyone is grateful, and we will never stop praying for them to stay! So many trials, but look at the smiles still pushing through! A great example of endurance.

Undaunted said...

Love you, keep you chin up.

Ashlee said...

I wish your dad the best of luck.

Cindi said...

I think so often how blessed we all are because Ben is here...an angel among us. And your dad, a true hero...praying for him.