Friday, October 3, 2008

KALEB'S BROWN BELT TEST

The countdown begins. After 5 long years and 10 belts later, Kaleb is on a ten month program to earn his black belt. It's called "recommended black". It's the belt that you see him snapping in the picture above. This is quite an accomplishment. There are only 3 other kids that have gone on to be black belts since he has been going. It's not easy - a really big commitment but hopefully worth it in the end.
Kaleb testing with his brown belt on.
The new belt.
At the end of the graduation ceremony, the kids fold their belts and lay them in front of them. When Dashi says "go", they make a wish and throw them up in the air.
CONGRATULATIONS KALEB!

7 comments:

Cindi said...

Hooray for Kaleb! I don't know much about karate, just that it requires a lot of committment and self discipline...two things we all need to practice. I am impressed and proud...way to go, Kaleb!

ChefTom said...

Impressive, I guess I need to stay on the good side of the Orton's.

Congrats Kaleb!!

LL said...

You Ortons scare me...i hope we can always get along.
WAY TO GO KALEB!

Unknown said...

HOORAY Kaleb!
We'll be counting down the months... GOOD LUCK!!
xoxo

shirlgirl said...

Congratulations, Kaleb. Good work and A plus for your commitment.

Rachael said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. It really is a day to shout, "Hurrah for Israel!!!!" My Mom and I are for sure coming on the 7th. Just to let you know.

Anonymous said...

I remember when Kaleb was just beginning..."Come a long way, baby." Grampy and I will be there for your black belt.
love mimi