Saturday, October 4, 2008

"COME WHAT MAY AND LOVE IT"

(my thoughts from today's General Conference)
"Every day has PEAKS and SHADOWS"
(Elder Wirthlin)
How true this is. Just yesterday (Friday) my life was full of shadows...my husband is in Utah for two weeks, I am mothering a sick child (Benjamin) who has kept me up most of the night every night this week, traveled to see Kaleb's soccer game with Stevie and Ben in tow, only to find out they were playing an hour later than expected. I was due in Massachusetts at 7:30pm and was way off course. Picked up Kayla and loaded our two Pugs on my way down after returning from Kaleb's soccer game only to find out 45 minute into the trip the "low brake fluid" lights came on. HUH? Called my hubby in Utah who informed me to get some brake fluid fast. Pulled into a Shell station where I found the said brake fluid and called the hubby back so he could direct me as to what I was doing. Come to find out (I'm seeming to "find out" a lot, huh?) I couldn't get my hood open due to a minor fender bender about a month ago when I bumped the hitch of a tractor trailor. (silly me) Tractor trailor was fine, my front grill was not. I sat there in the dark, creepy parking lot with my four kids and two dogs in tow struggling to open the dumb hood. During my struggles, a man pulled up in his truck, saw me struggling with the hood, went in to purchase two sodas. When he came back out he observed that I was still struggling, and came over and offered his help.
"Not all angels are from the other side of the veil" (Elder Holland)
I was grateful for the help and for another 15 minutes, with him practically under my car, laying on his back, he was able to open the hood. I thanked him profusely and offered him a "handiwipe" - he declined. Now all I had to do was find where to pour the brake fluid. Apparently I must have looked really pathetic because this guy barely got into his truck only to get back out and walk back over to me and offered his help once again. After about five minutes, we located the spot and I maneuvered the bottle way up under the hood and proceeded to pour the bottle in. Yup. I poured the WHOLE bottle in - it even overflowed a little. Mission accomplished, right? I again offered my helper who had greasy hands a "handiwipe", this time he accepted. I shut my hood, got everyone belted again and continued onto Massachusetts. Almost two hours later I arrived at my parents home where I dropped off the older three and the two dogs and continued on to my friend EP's house. (who by the way, has the coolest place EVER!) 5 minutes into the 10 minute drive my brakes went. Yes...I was brakeless. In the dark. With child in tow. In a strange place. Life couldn't get any more exciting. I guess (according to my hubby - what does HE know?) you don't just pour the WHOLE bottle in - that's a no no. That's why there's a FILL line. (of course...but doesn't he know I was working in the DARK?)
"Don't allow stress to get the better of us...The BEST is yet to COME!" (Elder Perry)
I crawled at a snails pace the rest of the way and finally arrived at EP's. The rest of the night was the PEAK, the BEST TO COME part. We had a blast. My spirits were lifted, my belly was fed and I was surrounded by incredible women.
"The next time you are tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead." (Elder Wirthlin)
Thanks for making me laugh!
Come what may...and I LOVED it!

10 comments:

Sargent Family said...

wow!what great tie-ins! i bet you didn't think at the time that you would be able to apply all of the talks so quickly to your life!
you're a great example to me, becky!

ChefTom said...

Wow Becky, never a dull moment in your world. Glad everything worked out ok and all of you are safe.

The Mormon Monk said...

Uh, Beck, how did you get home? I'm confused...doesn't driving with no brakes end up in you being dead? Does your friend live at the top of a hill? Thanks for helping me find you again--for some reason, I never got the memo at your old blog. Don't worry--I caught up below.

LL said...

Becky!! this blog is Ensign worthy :) Seriously, I loved it.
Way to make the talks personal. Yesterdays sessions were AMAZING! I couldn't pick a favorite...they were all so good. Looking forward to more of the same today.
Enjoy your Sabbath.

barryblog said...

Isn't it great that we can all listen to the same conference and receive inspirations and answers to our prayers. I am glad you are okay and feeling good. Thank you for looking for the good in all situations. It inspires me!!

Amy M. said...

I agree with Laura, I actually thought this was an ensign article that you were working on and getting ready to send it off. I would if I were you- it was well written and presented with the right touch of keeping your cool in the hardest of times.

General confrence was great.

ellen said...

What a day! And, you were even smiling at the end! I'm glad you made it to dinner. Have a safe drive back to N.H.

Unknown said...

Your stories all have good endings. GREAT applications from conference. LOVED it. (love YOU)

DainBramage said...

Glad you survived your harrowing ride. Driving with no brakes can be an interesting experience. I once spent an entire year driving a van with "limited" braking ability.

Rachel Durazzani said...

Love how you have ALREADY put to use the words of the prophets. Sorry it was such a headache, but glad you were finally able to enjoy yourself. And yikes on the no brakes. Scary.