Tuesday, November 8, 2011

DAY THREE...(didn't go as planned)

 We left Platte City, MO early this morning for our 700+ mile drive to Ohio.  The weather was great and the roads were mostly clear of traffic.
 I shared some of my breakfast with Brady Boo...he liked it. :)  THEN life got exciting.  We got to witness a live police chase on Interstate 70 in Missouri.  There were seriously like 40 police cars chasing an older red jeep down the highway nearing speeds of 100 mph.  We pulled over to let the mayhem pass.
 I didn't think to pull out my camera until most of the police cars had gone by...
 We knew the guy must have been caught because the traffic was at a stop.
 And then we spotted a helicopter above...
 I could see with the camera from WAY back that they had the car in custody.  Very exciting stuff.
 This guy burned some serious rubber...and then his car hit some tire spikes that the police layed out. (story below) 
 Here's a close up of the tire as we drove by.
This picture I got off the internet...and the rest of the story is below the picture.
 ST. CHARLES COUNTY • Police chased a stolen vehicle from Troy, Mo., to St. Peters this morning. No one was injured, and a 25-year-old St. Louis man was arrested, said Troy Police Chief Jeff Taylor. Taylor said a Jeep Cherokee was reported stolen in Marion County. About 9:40 a.m., a Troy police sergeant on traffic duty saw the vehicle on Highway 61 and pursued it, he said.
Speeds neared 100 mph until the Jeep's driver reached eastbound Interstate 70 in St. Charles County, Taylor said. He said police placed spike strips on the highway to flatten the vehicles tires, and it stopped between the Highway 370 and Cave Springs Boulevard exits.
The driver's name has not been released because he has not been charged yet.

After all the excitement, we continued on our journey, and saw some pretty cool sights along the way.
 (beautiful sunset over the water)
 After we crossed the bridge, that's when trouble happened.  We spent an hour figuring out a detor off Interstate 64 and when we finally were back on track (about 160 miles from Amy's house), the truck broke down.  We spent over an hour on the side of the interstate, in the middle of nowhere, waiting for Triple A to find us.  Then he followed us to the gas station where we ended up pushing the truck to the pump (always good for a laugh), and then barely making it to a Holiday Inn to spend the night instead of with Amy.  Hopefully we'll figure this out tomorrow and be back on the road soon.  I'm grateful that we are safe and sound for now.


Junior said...

wow quite an eventful day. So glad you guys are okay. Brady is soooo cute. big hugs.

The Kings said...

wow -all those police cars after one guy because he stole it!? That's a bit intense! :) Sorry to hear you are having troubles - hope it gets sorted out soon and doesn't end up too expensive.

nanci said...

Everything is an amazing adventure with you! I hope the vehicle gets repaired quickly and the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

Jo Jo said...

Didn't tell me about that! Where are you?

shirlgirl said...

You sure did have a lot happening in one day. Hopefully the truck situation won't be an expensive one and that you'll be at Amy's soon. Please be safe! I've been worried about you traveling across country, especially with Brady. At least you are not alone and have Kara with you.

Simone Triffitt said...

Oh my goodness, this is turning out to be the most eventful roadtrip ever!!!