Sunday, January 10, 2010

AUNT SHIRLEY


"Grace is a God-given virtue.  It is a disposition to be kind and to do good." 
President James E. Faust
I came across the virtue of "grace" today as I was reading a past conference talk.  My thoughts immediately turned to my Aunt Shirley.  I love her dearly.  I have a lot of extended family from both sides of my parents, but never developed the kind of relationship that I have with my her and my Uncle David.  She came into my life at the age of 9 when she married my dad's brother.  They have been ever present in my life since, whether by cards in the mail, family gatherings, phone calls, visits or being one of my greatest supporters in my blogging efforts.  You can always find her "doing" for others.  She has that inate disposition to do good.  I will forever remember the unconditional love and service that she rendered to my grandmother for many, many years before she passed away.  She always made sure her laundry was clean, her nails were buffed and polished and she would spend hours visiting with her when no one else did.  Recently her husband, the love of her life, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  Yet through it all, she continues to serve.  To be kind and to do good.  I received this beautiful, hand knitted scarf from her in the mail just the other day.  I LOVE it.  Thank you Aunt Shirley. xoxo

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful!
Lovely post, Becky.
I love Aunt Shirley just as much.
xo

LL said...

BEAUTIFUL scarf!
Aunt Shirley sounds like a great lady~

shirlgirl said...

Thank you Becky, so much. The post was lovely! The scarf looks great on you, too! I'm still working feverishly on Jenny's. Uncle David is comfortable and was watching the Patriots when I got to the hospital today. His N-G tube is out and he had some soup, juice, and jello for lunch. Not sure when he will be discharged--probably the end of the week. Not sure when radiation will start--probably a month from now when he is healed from the surgery. Love you tons, too!

Tara Bennett said...

Oh I love aunt Shirley and her lovely scarf! So sorry to hear about your uncle, but will pray that he will recover quickly and that radiation will prove to be healing. {{HUGS}}

April said...

Can I adopt her as my aunt too?? She sent me the best "Hug" in the mail!
Shirley...hope you know that you are loved, and that our prayers are with you and your good husband!

Jo Jo said...

I couldn't have said it any better, so ditto to the above, and am loving my scarf. I guess I'll go the old fashioned route and throw on a stamp and get it mailed.