Friday, April 1, 2011

SERVICE SHOVELING/SNOW OYLMPICS

 It's a snow day today.  We got about a foot of snow up here in the North Pole.  What do you do with 5 teenagers on a day like this?  Go shoveling around the town.  To make it fun, we incorporated the "Snow Olympics".  After each driveway was completely shoveled, we would participate in an event...
The first event of the day was the "Snow Hucking" contest.  It was to see who could throw a shovel full of snow the furthest.
Guess who won?  The Cop.  My hunk 'hucked' it the furthest.
We had the 400 meter dash around this fun friend's house.  You had to be on the look out for dog 'land mines', slippery slopes and bushes.  Good times.  I took a big digger around one of the corners and lost to Kaleb.
 Ever try running through snow in boots and snow clothes?  It makes a dash turn into more of a saunter.  Kaleb took first in his size 14 clod hoppers.  (and we may or may not have broken her fence at the start of the race)
 More shoveling...(I think we shoveled 5 driveways for the day)
 Not really sure what you call THIS event...snow diving?
 This was the long jump...

 Bonus points for those who jumped with a chocolate covered rice crispy in their mouth.
 We ended with an all out snow ball fight.
In the closing ceremonies, we built a GIANT snowman, and went inside to see who could chug a cup of hot chocolate the fastest.
THE END!

13 comments:

D Abers said...

You guys are so amazingly awesome!! What a great memory for your family and for the community!

LL said...

this made me smile!

The Kings said...

oh you guys are soooooo much fun!!!! I want to come and hang with you!!! :)

Aaron H. said...

Fun day!

Jeannette said...

this post makes me happy, just what i needed for the day:)

Smilin' sunshine said...

making the best of a cold sityation~
always a party with the Ortons!

shirlgirl said...

What a great service to do on a snowy day--plenty of exercise and fun along the way. You sure do know how to make memories.

April said...

Always a party in your neck of the woods! (wish I could say I was jealous of the snow :)

Nettie's Blog said...

that looks like so much fun ...you always have fun when you are doing service...well done guys...good job....you win my vote for the best neighbors ever.

Tara Bennett said...

I'm glad, and a little shocked that no one landed in the ER! Glad you guys had fun and remained in-injured ;)

troutdalite said...

are two of the olympians my nephews?! Fun times!

Simone Triffitt said...

My kids think you are the funnest Mum ever. THey think I am boring because I would be all military like - right kids, 'we are going to shovel 5 driveways today and I don't want to hear any whinging about it'. 'Let's go'. :)

Jo Jo said...

You are the fun Mom! Loving those games, the snowman is the best. How's that knee?