Friday, October 16, 2009

HOLD ON TIGHT!

Yesterday I had plans to drive from the hospital to go see Kaleb and Stevie's soccer games in Alton. Sometimes things don't go as planned. It's part of life. That's what makes living it SO exciting. The soccer game? It's a two hour drive...and I was late getting started. It was one of those crazy days at the hospital. There were meetings and paperwork and phonecalls. All having to do with a home vent. I was on the road by 2pm and making good time. With about 30 minutes left in my drive, I passed a police officer going the other way. He threw his lights on. I MAY or MAY NOT have been going a little faster than I should've been. I went to push the brakes to slow my speed. My foot went to the floor - right through the brake. They were gone. Nothing. I threw my car into 3rd gear and then low and finally my E-brake. I pulled over fully expecting the police officer to have pulled a u-turn to come back and find me. Nothing. Whatever the reason for the officer to flash his lights, it allowed for me to realize my brakes were gone in a n0n-emergent situation. I was very lucky. There were no cars in front of me, and no cars in back of me. I sat there for a minute, waiting for my heart to slow down. I thought about the highway, driving at high speeds and all the in-town bumper to bumper traffic I just drove through. Can you imagine what could have happened had my brakes failed earlier? I was truly being watched over. I called our mechanic, Al. THANK GOODNESS for this dear friend of ours. "Bring it right in" he tells me. I drive all the way back DOWN the mountain I had just driven up. That's an adventure with no brakes. It was a 20 minute drive to his shop. I made it. Steve met me there. My brake line was broken...hence the no brakes. Three hours later (working after normal work hours) the van was fixed. I gave Al a big smooch, promised him cinnamon rolls later, ran home to pick up Kaleb and kiss my girls goodnight and back to the hospital we went.

16 comments:

April said...

Oh my goodness! SCARY!!! I'm so glad you were watched over by Ben's heavenly helpers. WHEW!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm so glad you're safe!

ellen said...

Your life is so boring. :)

Joy said...

Ah all in a days adventures with the Orton's! So grateful for life's angles. Glad that you are all right and got to aleast kiss your kids and your hubby before heading back to the hospital.

The Mormon Monk said...

Blessed indeed...that was just about what Gabe was saying his dinner prayer: "Please bless Aunt Becky..."

Thanks for the note earlier today, Sis. I just want you to know that I didn't forget your birthday; I dedicated that day to filling out my Dartmouth apps. Love you!

Papa Don's Place said...

Becky, it could only happen to you!

Smilin' sunshine said...

WOW! I actually had the same thought as EP, but since she beat me to it, all I can say is WOW!

Unknown said...

hmmmmm.....
providence.

Erin said...

Hi Becky! I haven't checked your family blog in a few weeks! It felt very good to catch up in more detail. I love you.

LL said...

FRIEND. have you thought about writing a book?!?? SERIOUSLY!

nanci said...

As if you don't have enough excitement in your life! Glad you're safe!

Jo Jo said...

When that happened to us, I wasn't saavy enough to put it into a lower gear or use the emergency brake. Let's go for hitting the UPS truck instead. GOod times.

Unknown said...

Amy! I remember that story!
I was SO glad it wasn't me...
See--Becky had that experience to draw upon, and learned. (Isn't it kind of cool to claim that you've t-boned a UPS truck in your lifetime?)
SCARY!

Alana said...

Wow, I guess God figured you had enough medical problems on your plate right now without a trip to the emergency room too.

shirlgirl said...

That police officer was your guardian angel for sure. So glad you are o.k. That had to be a very scary moment for you.

Amy M. said...

BECKY!!! You are a blessed woman more and more each day. Thank goodness is right! But driving back down the hill knowing the brakes were already gone must have been more terrifying. You are such a brave woman.